Wednesday 24 April 2013

Mr Rotivator!

It’s been a while since my last post, there was not much happening down on plot 58 as it was too wet or covered in snow, the action at the allotment pretty much came to a standstill.IMG_0962

But the last 2 weeks things have been on the up.

Last Monday (after having the beds covered over for 4 weeks) I along with my dad decided that we would rotivate the plot our allotment society do tool hire for the day and at £10 it’s a bargain I have never used one before and I found it a bit of a pain in the proverbial the soil is heavy clay and it didn’t like it to much I found it a lot easier to pull it back over the plot rather than letting it go forward. But the end result was pleasing and now most of the beds are ready for planting at last!

IMG_0937After we sorted the beds out I planted out the potatoes as they were crying out to go in the ground this year I am keeping it simple only growing 3 main crops in santé Cara and King Edward and a second early called British Queen, I grew this last year and was impressed with it so giving it another crack this year.

I have also this year created 2 flower beds and have put a climbing rose up a metal arch that goes over the middle walkway through the plot, its going to look pretty grand when its grown a bit. The other plants put in are all bulbs with some daffodils and some summer ones the name escapes me now!

3 comments:

  1. You probably needed a heavier duty machine for your heavy clay. That looks to be a dinky one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our site has 3 rotivators but the big heavy duty one i counld use it it was far to powerful i couldnt control it! would have been ok if i didnt have raised beds.

      Delete
  2. I would be lost without a rotavator on the heavy clay of my plots. Never thought I would see the day when I would use one but the last year or so of wet and cold weather have played havoc with the soil structures, making digging with a spade or fork less productive than using a rotavator to fine it up.

    ReplyDelete