On Sunday my father came down the plot to help me construct a new recycling area I already have 1 compost bin but wanted another plus a leaf mould bin I forgot to take a “before” picture of the area but the finished area looks smart.
I have also come up with the idea of putting pallets down on the floor in this area to make it more robust for the wheel barrow to move over this is going to take bit of time to finish as I need about 8 pallets and only currently have 2.
Yesterday I spent the best part of 6 hours at the plot again with the wife at work and girls at school it was time well spent I had my first bonfire and I got a little carried away with it! (Think it’s a man thing!)I got rid of all the old Brussels that needed disposing of and some off cuts of wood left over from making the raised beds.As far as crops go my garlic is looking rather healthy considering the snow looks like I am going to have a good crop this year.
There isn’t much left now in the beds just a few Celeriac and some Cavalo Nero oh and a random parsnip I dug up when I was digging over a bed!I was pleasantly surprised with the compost from the bin as well it looks really rich and moist and by the looks of it will have about 20 wheelbarrow full of it think my vegetables are going to love it.
There is one low point my potatoes that got a bit of frost have all but rotted I have about 3-4 left of each variety so my planned experiment with them all won’t be as high yielding as I hoped and the plan now is to grow them all in containers on the plot and buy more potatoes to put in my potato patch. And will have to try it again next year.There are more pictures on my Facebook page if you want to have a look just click the link on the right.