Friday 3 February 2012

Onion Seed V Sets Part 2.

Oh dear oh dear the onion seeds are not doing particularly well due to the intervention of my 3 year old daughter. I have my onion seeds sitting nicely on the Bathroom window sill soaking up all the sun throughout the day.  My youngest thought the onion seeds needed water….lots of water…..in fact during “bath time” the other evening they thought they were in Asia at the height of monsoon season when I went in to get here out the bath she said to me “Daddy, I watered your seeds like Mr Bloom” (for all those unfamiliar with Mr Bloom he is a character from CBeebies all about growing vegetables) I couldn’t be cross with her because she was only trying to help me I suppose and she looked so cute when she said it too. When I looked at them they were actually swimming in water I did my best to remove all the water I could but since then the seeds have all just rotted off and all but 1 has died.
A day after the monsoon! all is not well

So yesterday whilst out at my local garden centre I picked up another packet of onion seeds and also as a back-up measure I brought some seed onions Centurion, I hope I have more luck this time round with the onion seed because before the “monsoon” they were not looking to healthy anyway. 
I have also been sowing some parsnip seeds this week in individual modules as they take an age to germinate, it has also highlighted to me that I need to invest in a greenhouse heater as I am slowly running out of window sills to put things on.

6 comments:

  1. I never used to sow my onion seeds until March so you've got plenty of time to re-sow the ones hit by the monsoon.

    My advice on parsnips would be to try sowing some direct in the ground as well. I've tried starting them off in modules for the same reason as you and had disappointing results. They look great when growing but when harvested they just had a mass of tiny roots rather than the long tap root that you really want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Martyn didn't mention was that we sow in a mini trench of compost. If you are interested I have written about it on my website here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just checked out your link, think i will give that a go as well, you can never have to many parsnips!

      Delete
  3. Oh dear - what it is to have 'helpful' children - never mind there is still plenty of time left for re-sowing - just make sure you don't leave them on the bathroom window sill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, bless her. At least she's interested in gardening, and you've got plenty of time left yet to resow. Better luck next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi stacy

    I have started to chit Parsnip seeds. Soak a Kitchen towel lay your parsnip seeds out individually on the towel place in a plastic container and place another wet towel on top. Stick the container in the airing cupboard and just have the lid sitting on not closed down. In about 10 days the seeds have swollen and started to chit. Plant out in situate. I've had great germination doing it this way.

    John

    ReplyDelete