Wednesday 20 June 2012

Potato trial: The First Earlies


What a hectic week, SO busy at work right now not much time for the plot so yesterday on my day off I made the most of the fantastic weather and spent the whole day on the plot.

So much weeding to do its depressing, so the first job of the day was to weed over the bed to plant the aubergines and the fennel and celeriac. I am very impressed with myself this year as almost all my vegetables have been grown from seed and not brought from a nursery (which I admit I did last year a bit) and I am particularly proud of my fennel and celeriac’s both look very healthy and strong young plants so a good crop is forecast. And my aubergines I have planted some outside and some in my green house at home. The weather is normally quite good down here in East Anglia so I planted the aubergines out, but with this summer I don’t hold my breath.

I also weeded over the carrot patch as the weeds had gone mutant! Unbelievable the size they reached in 10 days! I also set about sowing a few more rows of carrots ready for September.

I gave my onions and Garlic a quick hoeing over too and I noticed that my garlic had what looked like rust over it, can anyone tell me what this is?? And I hope they are still ok to eat as they really look like a good crop this year!

One of the tasks I was really looking forward to was the potatoes and my first part of my potato trial for 2012. Today was the day for the first earlies………. The excitement I had turning the pot out onto the wheelbarrow I was like a kid in a sweet shop! But the excitement soon turned to disappointment my first tub which was Ulster Classic really didn’t crop much at all 520g to be exact. But I still had hope for the Winston and British Queen but upon turning out the Winston I was disappointed yet again this time only 390g total. I have decided to leave the British Queen a few more weeks in the hope of a bigger crop. I never really grow first earlies as I have always have a poor crop but I thought this year would be different………….I was wrong.

But on a good note, we ate them that evening with salad and a piece of poached salmon and they were absolutely beautiful they tasted so creamy especially the Ulster Classic I would go as far as to say one of the creamiest new potatoes I have eaten if all my potatoes taste a good as this I am in for a real treat this year…..
 Have a cracking week folks…

 Don’t forget to check out my Facebook page for more pictures and you can also follow me on twitter

6 comments:

  1. I could never give up growing earlies, even with poor harvests, I think the taste of the first harvest is the best treat of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacy
    More than likely that it rust on your garlic plants. Supposed to be brought on by wet dull weather. No surprise there then. Noticed our garlic has rust too and it hasn't formed cloves either just a bulb. Always next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do still have more garlic to pull so hope that some will have formed cloves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it ok to eat? All mine have formed lovely big bulbs but the tops are all rusty.

      Delete
    2. It won't harm you to eat it Stacy - the bulbs probably will still be clean. The rust sometimes causes the bulbs not to grow properly and maybe not to store too well. The rust can affect onions and leeks too so you may be better off lifting the affected bulbs. Have they formed cloves as I know lots of people are complaining that their garlic hasn't this year - just made a solid bulb

      Delete
  4. It's a bit disappointing when you don't find many spuds under the leafy haulms but as long as they taste good we're happy!
    This year's weather is so annoying it makes it hard to know whether it's the variety or the weather that's the problem with low harvests though..
    There are so many different varieties it's great to see what people are growing so we can try next year

    ReplyDelete