Tuesday 3 July 2012

learning from my mistakes...

Last year my Brassicas didn’t really come too much, I planted cabbage, sprouting broccoli & Brussels sprouts I had a few cabbages but the  sprouts & broccoli were a disaster, so this year I want to try to do better and actually get a harvest from them.

The first mistake I made last year was that I planted the sprouts and Broccoli far too close to each other and didn’t allow room for growth and for air to get between them. Also I didn’t stake them until they were mature so it was hard to get them growing straight. Also they were completely infested with black fly to the point where I just gave up on them and pulled them up and burnt them.

So this year is going to be different the first thing that is different is I actually grew them from seed rather than them given to me by a friend secondly I have given the soil a really good digging over added some lime and also loads of egg shells crushed up, this will give them a boost of calcium that they need when growing.(read my earlier post about the egg shell)

I have also given them a lot of room to grow I have only put 4 or 5 per row and in the sprouting broccoli case only 4 per row I will give them 2 weeks then they will all be staked and tied in at an early stage to help them grow tall and strong

I have also got a bottle of washing up liquid ready diluted down in a spray to get the black fly before they start a lot of people suggested this to me last year so I will give it a bash this year.

Lastly I have netted them from the start, I didn’t really have a problem with birds eating them last year but i am not taking any chances.

So that’s the brassicas planted out for another year let’s hope I get to try the fruits of my labour this year…..


Don’t forget to check out my Facebook page for more pictures and you can also follow me on twitter@plot58

5 comments:

  1. Good Luck - we failed with sprouts in previous years and last year grew a club root resistant variety which paid off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks sue, i hope i get a crop this year, would love to be able to have them for christmas dinner.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you're giving them every chance, good luck with them. I've never grown any sprouts successfully yet, I've given them a miss this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they dont do much this year i may concider not doing them next year.

      Delete
  3. Hope all works well. Will be interested in the outcome. Confession time: I've never staked any brassicas, although you do need a well firmed soil. I choose "half tall" brussels (and although I hate them they grow like billyo). But I would never plant brassicas without having a net at the ready.

    ReplyDelete