Thursday 15 March 2012

On your marks get SET grow!


Well readers I have had a very busy week, my time mainly split between the allotment and work, I made the stupid mistake on Monday of doing 7 hours down the plot then going to work to do a 9 hour shift I was absolutely cream crackered at the end of it! It wouldn’t have been so bad if I hadn’t done 3 hours of hardcore digging. The beds needed turning and I don’t have the luxury of a Rotivator and can’t justify the cost of hiring one, no one on the plot wants to go half’s on the cost and share it. So today I didn’t make the same mistake! I used my time to do a few little jobs as I am working tonight.

I finally got round to changing the wire on my raspberries and loganberries to something more child and Rabbit proof, I did have up a very thin wire that could easily be snapped it now had a strong sturdy wire to hopefully last a few years.
 Today saw the first thing planted on the plot for the 2012 growing season I planted out some onion sets, I have given up on the onion seeds tried 3 times and all 3 times ended in failure so its sets this year (I will try again next year) I have got my red onion and more Strattgarter Giant onion sets growing in modules in the green house as well I want to see which gives better yield or if it’s worth potting into modules. The onions in the modules are growing well so hopefully have a good harvest.

if you want to see more pictures as ever visit my Facebook page.

9 comments:

  1. Snap!

    That's what I did yesterday. Got my onion sets in the ground. We'll see how they do!

    Good luck!

    Martin :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we will have to pull them at the same time and compare :-)

      Delete
  2. Did your onions rot in the previous tries?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well the first attempt was my daughters doing but the other 2 times they just rotted on me dont know why, i had them in the house and did not over water them

      Delete
  3. I've got my shallots and red onions potted up in modules, they've just started to sprout. I'm still going with the onions from seed, I hope they grow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our onions and shallots are sproutng in the greenhouse but the heat treated onions sets will arrive later. These are held back until they have undergone the treatment to kill the flower buds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got shallot seeds sown in a tray in the gh but nothing showing yet. I'm having a year off 'regular' onions to use the space for something new.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luckily my old rotovator is still going strong so turning over the ground isn't too much hard work. The cost of hiring stuff amazes me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you might as well save up a little and buy it outright its a shame that they are pricey even a second hand one.

      Delete